Monday, July 19, 2004

Letter to a Young Man - You

Letter to a Young Man - You

Dear You,

The time has probably come.
Though I do no know who or where you are,
I know you are out there, somewhere.
And one day I know, I will find You.

I hope that you will love me,
For who I am, and not other things.
I'm not one of those girls who are popular;
Certainly not a Goddess like Venus.

I'm do not possess a voluptous body -
I'm more like a hanger - sharp and angular.
I'm not tall - more vertically challenged -
So please don't mind if you have to stoop.

(I'll still hear what you say,
and what you don't say.)

If I ever cry, please don't beat yourself up;
I'm crying not because you hurt me;
But my tears are really tears of anguish -
And they'll have nothing to do with you.

Please know that you don't have to spend
And shower me with plenty of presents.
I'm not a material girl who wants,
But a simple plain Jane who enjoys your love.

By the way, don't feel exasperated with me;
After all, it had been a long time since I loved.
I'm really scared and nervous -
Believe me: a lot of things will be my first.

Understand that there is nothing to hide;
You can tell me everything -
There's no need for lies!
(And in return I'll be honest, I promise!)

I hope I'm not asking too much of you
In this letter to a stranger named You.
You'll read this one day, I know.
And understand where each of us is coming from.

Until then, I will patiently wait,
For your arrival one of these days.
So for now, remember my name and who I am,
And that I'm just a plain girl name Jess.

[J]

NOTES:
This is a little poem I've been playing around with since last year. :) Through it, I found myself healing from my hurt and past relationship. It was initially written in the form of prose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home